Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato Soup is savory, balanced, and naturally vegan with all of my favorite Thai-inspired flavors plus coconut milk for creamy richness.
- 4 cups cooked sweet potato from about 4-5 potatoes *see note
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
for serving, any or all of the following drizzled, sprinkled, or spritzed:
- chili crisp or chili oil - I recommend Fly by Jing or laoganma
- coconut milk
- Toasted sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- toasted, unsweetened coconut flakes
- fresh lime wedges
First, prepare sweet potatoes - you can do this the day before or even a few days before. Place them on a baking tray, rub with a little oil and salt and bake at 375 until very tender.
Or, you can peel and dice your potatoes and add them to the pot when you add the broth in step 3. If you do this, cook them until tender and proceed with the recipe as written.
To make the soup:
- In a large pot over medium heat add coconut oil and sesame oil. Add garlic, ginger, onions and cook, stirring often, until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Next, add thai curry paste, miso paste, and white pepper. Cook for a minute or so to combine.
- Next, add cooked sweet potatoes or diced, raw potatoes. Add broth and coconut milk, stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- At this point you can either transfer the soup to a blender and very carefully blend until very smooth - or use an immersion blender and blend in the pot until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and add a bit of soy sauce or salt if you prefer. You can also add fish sauce for saltiness if you are not keeping it vegan.
Scoop your soup into bowls and top with any or all of the topping suggestions. Please don't skip the fresh lime juice! It is key.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: sweet potato soup, vegan sweet potato soup, thai red curry sweet potato soup