This One Bowl, Glazed, Salted, Malted Chocolate Bundt Cake is rich & moist with a hint of nostalgia from the malted milk powder. Perfect snow day baking!
For the cake:
- Non-stick baking spray (I am in love with Baker's Joy) or butter and flour for the pan
- 1 cup butter, melted (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, I prefer a dark one but I have used just about every kind that exists in this recipe
- 1 cup malted milk powder, I use carnation brand
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water (use one cup hot coffee for a mocha cake!)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons flaked sea salt, crushed between fingertips (or use kosher salt)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the chocolate glaze:
- 1 & 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons malt powder (plus a pinch or two for sprinkling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk (or enough to make a smooth, pourable glaze)
- a sprinkle of sea salt (maldon flaked sea salt is my favorite, but kosher salt will work just fine)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 10 - 12 cup bundt pan, or spray generously with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, melt butter in microwave.
- Add cocoa powder and malt powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and water (or coffee) and whisk again until smooth.
- On a large piece of parchment, sift together the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and whisk until smooth. This is a loose batter so don't worry if it looks too thin.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes - don't over bake!
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack set over a baking tray.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. Place all ingredients except salt into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and a thick ribbon forms when you hold your whisk in the air. You want this pourable, not spreadable.
- Generously drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Wait 10 minutes for glaze to set a bit and sprinkle with malt powder and sea salt.
- Once glaze has set, transfer cake to cake stand, cutting board, or large platter.
- Slice and devour
If you want to skip the wire rack step, you can. I like to do this to prevent a lot of the glaze from pooling around the plate, but too much of this glaze is NOT a bad thing.
As indicated in the recipe, if you want to use a cup of hot coffee rather than hot water it is very good and adds a bit of mocha flavor to this already delicious cake. I have done this many times.
If you want to make this without the malt powder, increase sugar to 2 full cups.
- Category: baking, dessert, cakes
- Method: baking
Keywords: salted malted chocolate bundt cake, glazed chocolate bundt cake, one bowl chocolate bundt cake