nothing beats a classic roast chicken with vegetables. Made on one pan with any root veggies you have on hand. Easy, comforting, and healthy!
- 1 whole butterflied chicken*, approximately 5 pounds
- 3–4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced or cut into chunks
- 3–4 large beets, scrubbed and cut into quarters*
- 4 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs – rosemary, thyme, oregano
- lemons for serving
- a mixture of fresh herbs for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place root vegetables on large sheet tray, toss with oil, salt, pepper, and herbs.
- prepare chicken by using either a very sharp knife, or strong kitchen scissors to slice down one side of the back bone. Open the chicken up and press down to crack the breast bone – this just allows the chicken to lay flat.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables with skin facing up.
- drizzle chicken with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs and rub to evenly coat the entire surface.
- Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 1 to 1.5 hours* until skin is crispy, vegetables are tender, and the internal temp of chicken is 160. You can also pierce the thigh meat and check to see that the juices run clear.
- Serve with lemon wedges and lots of fresh herbs.
Some butterflying or spatchcocking methods will tell you to remove the backbone entirely. I prefer to leave it on and roast it with the chicken so that I can save it for stock after it’s roasted. You can remove it if you prefer.
As I said in the post, use any combination of root veggies. You just need enough to fill the tray and give the chicken a nice little platform to sit on. Use any combination of potatoes, turnips, carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes, fennel bulbs, kohlrabi. Just choose hearty veggies that can stand up to the long cooking time.
Giving an exact roasting time for chicken is impossible as all chickens are different sizes. Your best tool is an instant read thermometer, but if you don’t have one, just check the joint between the leg and thigh. If it is still pink after an hour, give it more time.
Keywords: roast chicken with vegetables, one pan roast chicken with vegetables, sheet pan dinner, roast chicken