Lemony, light, and so easy to make, these lemon poppy seed muffins are such a classic!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk (either works fine here)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter (I always use salted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
for the lemon streusel
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
for the lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Make the lemon streusel:
Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl and pinch together with your fingers until the butter is evenly dispersed and you can form little clumpd. Set aside.
Make the lemon glaze:
combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. Too thin, add a bit more lemon.
Make the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners or spray generously with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl or a glass measuring cup, mix wet ingredients. whisk them very well with a fork to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir gently until just combined. Do not over mix and do not whisk.
- Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffin liners. I use my largest cookie scoop and it makes 12 muffins exactly. You can fill these right to the top.
- divide streusel evenly over the muffins and press down just slightly so it adheres to the muffin batter.
- bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until puffed and golden brown. After 15 just give a muffin a press with your finger and if it springs right back it is done. If it still seems damp, give it 3 more minutes.
- Carefully remove from muffin tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, drizzle with glaze.
- Category: muffins, breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon poppy seed muffin recipe, lemon poppy seed muffins