This basic pizza dough recipe comes together in minutes and can be made same day or stashed in the fridge for 24-48 hours! Pizza Friday, here we come!
- 1.5 cups warm water 100-110 degrees F
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add warm water to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook. add yeast and sugar or honey. Stir to combine and let sit until foamy - about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil, and salt and mix on low speed until dough begins to come together.
- Turn up to medium speed and allow mixer to run for 7 minutes. Adding extra flour one tablespoon at a time if needed until it pulls away from the sides and is no longer sticky.
- After 7 minutes, remove dough hook and allow dough to rise in a warm place for one hour.
- At this point you can proceed with pizza making, or transfer dough to ziploc bags and stash in the freezer for 24-48 hours.
To prepare pizzas:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees for at least one hour with a baking steel or pizza stone inside.
- Divide risen dough in half for 2 large pizzas, or up to 4 for smaller pizzas.
- on a floured surface, flatten into circles. 12 inches in diameter for large, and about 6 inches in diameter for smaller, personal size. We prefer doing this on parchment that will then be transferred straight onto the baking steel, but if you are a pro with a pizza peel, feel free to proceed as you normally would without the parchment.
- Top pizzas with your favorite toppings - don't go too heavy with the wet ingredients but other than that have fun!
- Slide pizza onto preheated baking steel - either with a pizza peel or a thin baking tray.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes until crust is golden and bubbly and toppings/cheese are cooked and melty.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cutting board. Slice and enjoy!
- Category: main course
- Method: baking
Keywords: basic pizza dough recipe, basic pizza dough, homemade pizza dough, overnight pizza dough recipe