These red skinned mashed potatoes with sour cream are a classic and versatile side dish. Flavored with bay and garlic, whipped to creamy perfection with butter, cream, and sour cream this red skinned mashed potatoes recipe is quick, easy, and irresistible! Instant pot instructions are included too!
- 3 lbs red skinned potatoes, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, bay leaves, and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium high heat and allow to boil for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are very tender and falling apart a bit.
- Drain and return to hot pot. Remove bay leaves and top hot potatoes with butter. While butter melts a bit heat up the cream either in the microwave or in a small saucepan. When butter has melted slightly add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- Mash potatoes with hand masher until mashed but still a bit chunky. Add warm cream and continue mashing until creamy. If desired switch to an electric hand mixer to get them very creamy and more whipped.
- Add sour cream and a little extra cream or milk if the potatoes need. Taste for seasoning adding more salt and pepper if desired. Mix once more. Top with butter and fresh herbs for serving.
Instant Pot Instructions:
Add potatoes, garlic, bay leaves, and salt to instant pot and cover with water. Place lid on instant pot and set vent to seal. Cook on manual pressure for 10 minutes. When timer goes off turn pot off and manually release steam valve carefully. When lid releases, remove lid and drain potatoes.
Proceed with recipe as written above.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: side dish, Thanksgiving
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red skinned mashed potatoes recipe