The perfect, easy savory nibbles as we entertain at home this year - These Mini Pesto & Cheese Calzones use a variety of Filippo Berio Pestos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut 4 inch rounds using a large biscuit cutter or an overturned large jar or bowl that measures about 4 inches.
- Place these rounds onto a parchment lined sheet tray and add about a teaspoon of pesto into the center, followed by about a teaspoon of ricotta, followed by a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat until all are filled.
- Next, beat egg with a tablespoon of water and brush just one edge of dough with egg wash.
- Fold each disc of dough to create the calzone/ half moon shape pressing down to seal the edges tightly.
- Repeat until all calzones are formed.
- Next, using the tines of a fork, press around all the edges to really seal them tightly. Use flour if the fork gets too sticky.
- once all edges are crimped, brush tops of calzones with egg wash and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a dusting of parmigiano, a sprinkle of fresh herbs, plenty of extra pesto and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: appetizer, holidays
Keywords: mini calzones, mini pesto and cheese calzones, holiday appetizer, easy appetizer